Xiaomi RedMi 2 receives a new custom rom Android 4.4.4 KitKat based on original Android Open Source Project (AOSP), thanks to the release of Carbon ROM. The Carbon ROM has been reportedly built from scratch using AOSP source code with top custom tweaks and features borrowed from popular custom ROMs such as CyanogenMod, AOKP and ParanoidAndroid (PA).
Xiaomi Redmi 2 users who wish to install Android 4.4.4 on their devices using Carbon ROM, may follow our step-by-step guide.
The Android 4.4.4 Carbon ROM can be installed on the REdmi 2 using either CWM or TWRP recovery. Follow any method based on the recovery mode installed on your device.
How to Install Android 4.4.4 Carbon ROM via TWRP Recovery
- Power off the phone and wait for 5 to 10 seconds until the device shuts down completely.
- Now press and hold Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together, until the device boots into Recovery mode.
- Perform Wipe data/Factory reset (this will delete all apps and their settings and game progress). To do so, tap on Wipe and scroll down to the bottom of the screen and do a Swipe on “Swipe to factory reset” option.
- Tap on install and navigate to the Carbon ROM zip file you copied earlier to your phone’s SD card. Scroll to the bottom of screen and do a swipe on Swipe to confirm flash option to begin installing the firmware.
- Repeat the previous step to flash Google apps as well.
- Once Google Apps is also installed, select reboot and then tap on System to reboot your device. Your Redmi 2 will restart and it may take about 5 minutes for first boot to complete. So, do not interrupt the process.